Functional family room storage can also be stylish!
Whether it’s watching Harry Potter movie marathons with a giant tub of buttery popcorn, stretching out on a comfy sofa with a glass of wine, doing homework or just curling up with a good book, the family room is a place the whole family can enjoy together.
To get maximum use out of the family room, it’s great to come together as a family and determine exactly how each person uses the space.
Movie buffs? Then, a media cabinet with lots of storage for DVDs and CDs is a must.
This living room turned storage space into something stylish.
Since the family room is a place where the clutter can collect quickly, take advantage of the new year to lend a fresh look at the family room and get it in tip-top shape. Here's are some ideas for stylish storage...
Move everything out of the room (from rugs to art to furniture). A blank slate will yield a fresh perspective. Using what you have, try new furniture arrangements until you find one that works.
Shop Your House
Consider moving a bedroom desk downstairs or if your rug is too small to anchor the main furniture pieces, try switching it out with a rug from another room.
Don’t move everything back into the room. Be thoughtful about what really needs to be in there and move, donate or toss the rest.
Set Up Stations
With a place for everything and everything in its place, staying organized will be a cinch. A reading nook should have a comfy chair, a lamp and plenty of books and magazines stored nearby. A tv area should have DVD, CD, video game storage.
Now that you’ve pared down to the bare essentials, it’s time to find a place for everything. Baskets can hold extra throws and pillows, bins can store magazines, and trays are perfect for corralling remote controls.
Double Duty Furniture
For those pieces of furniture that just don’t work in the space anymore, replace them with furniture that can also serve as extra storage.
Include functional furniture, like a coffee table with baskets for storage.
As families grow and change over time, the needs of the family room may also change so don’t be afraid to re-access the room to make sure it’s being used to it’s fullest potential.
1) This beautiful piece of furniture is a media cabinet in disguise with storage galore.
2) Lace detailing on this Black bookcase would look equally beautiful filled with a favorite collection, family photos or piled high with books.
3) Rest your feet on this trunk coffee table and store blankets, pillows and magazines inside.
4) The fun words on this slim sofa table add humor as well as extra storage.
5) A pull out desk is a space saver.
6) Every reading nook needs good lighting and this clear glass table lamp can be filled with vacation souvenirs.
7) There’s no end to the things you can pile into these stylish storage baskets – from toys to books to remote controls.